Indian Society for Lead Awareness and Research (InSLAR) is an organization established with goal and mission to disseminate relevant information on toxic metals in general and lead poisoning in particular to Government authorities, NGO's, clinicians treating lead poisoned cases and other institutions concerned, and create awareness among the general public through education, documentation and media communication. The Society mainly concentrates on the following:
- Establish centers of excellence exclusively dedicated to screen for lead poisoning by evaluating blood lead levels using established international standards and protocols.
- Provide adequate information to clinicians treating cases of lead poisoning.
- Organize training programs to pre and para-medical representatives on the laboratory assessment and evaluation of lead poisoning.
- Recommend to the government on the implementation of various policies to protect lead based industries and its employees.
- Create awareness among the public through the media, publications and outreach programs.
- Assist researchers and academicians involved in research activities in the field of toxicology with special reference to lead.
- Provide consultancy services to employees of lead based industries in evaluating, monitoring and eliminating workplace lead poisoning.
- Make policy recommendation on reduction and prevention of lead poisoning to the government for national implementation.
CEPHED and Leader's Nepal jointly organized the Stakeholder Meeting on "Awareness Raising and Testing Facility Development Blood Lead Toxicity" with the support of InSLAR on 28th April, 2014 with the objective to inform about the lead in paint and lead in blood issues in Nepal, to discuss on sources of Lead Exposure, Problem and Perspective of Lead in Blood, to discuss about the national and international practices of BLL abatement and to identify the need and feasibility of setting BLL facilities and Lead Referral Center in Nepal.
During the program itself, CEPHED was appreciated by INSLAR for their contribution on creating lead free society and further opening door for the collaboraiton in near future for BLL testing lab facility establishment.