UNDP GEF SGP
GEF-SGP embodies the very essence of sustainable development. By providing financial and technical support to projects in developing countries that conserve and restore the natural world while enhancing the well-being and livelihoods of the people, SGP demonstrates that community action can maintain the fine balance between human needs and environmental imperatives. SGP links global, national and local level issues through a transparent, participatory and country driven approach to project planning, designing and implementation. Grants are made available directly to the non governmental organisations (NGOs) and community based organisations (CBOs) in recognition of the key facilitatory role they play as a resource and constituency for environment and development concerns. (UNDP-GEF SGP)
UNDP GEF SGP programs, CEPHED has been implementing following programs in Nepal:
Awareness raising and Capacity Building for Elimination POPs and its Sources from Nepal (2013-2014)
The project is ongoing with broad objective to generate information, raise awareness on POPs and Demonstrate Best Available Techniques (BAT) and Best Environment Practices(BEP) for curbing the emission of POPs by avoiding burning of waste. Along with broad objectives, project has specific objectives such as:
- Develop, Document and Disseminate Information on POPs especially new POPs and NIP.
- Awareness Raising and Capacity building in new area and institutions on HCWM, POPs and PCBs.
- Model development for BAT and BEP in HCWM and PCB to curb POPs release.
- Publication based on Pesticide Hotspot Research with respect to post disposal site contamination.
- Publication of "State of PCB contaminated Transformer oil and Equipments" in Grill workshops of Nepal.
- Advocate and contribute towards banning of Endosulfan pesticide import and use in Nepal and avoid further accumulation & obsolesce of currently used pesticides.
Public Awareness and Participation for Elimination of POPs and its sources from Nepal (2009-2011)
The project was successfully implemented and made available scientific information, awareness raised and capacity built of concerned stakeholders including showcasing model hospital and model metal workshop so as to reduce the emission of Dioxin and Furan, know human carcinogen POPs.
- To aware the impact of POPs and develop model hospital and metal workshop curbing the emission of POPs.
- Documents and Disseminate about POPs, Medical Waste and PCBs related issues and information regarding use, sources and Impacts.
- Awareness raising among the stakeholders about use and impacts of the POPs, Medical Waste and PCBs.
- Developing a model health care facilities managing waste with complete non-burning technologies to reduce POPs (Dioxin and Furan) emission.
- Develop a model Welding workshop practicing alternative technology and fuel to reduce POPs (Furan) emission.